On Thursday May 12, 2016 Senator Bernie Sanders visited western South Dakota, visiting first the Pine Ridge reservation and then Rapid City. I attended the rally in Rapid City and took some pictures. I will never forget the energy that day; the crowd was full of hope and optimism.
Click the links below to read the stories I have written as a correspondent for Native Sun News.
- "Dirty Little Secrets"
Abortion in America Part One: Restrictive laws enforce stigma
- Life and Death
Abortion in America Part Two: The rise of anti-abortion terrorism
- Helene Duhamel: Longtime South Dakota Broadcaster Reflects on Life
- Alicia Garcia: A Woman for All Occasions
- No More Stolen Sisters
- Tilsen steps down at Thunder Valley
- Back in the Saddle
- VA Adapting to Better Serve Homeless Indian Veterans
- What is net neutrality and why should you care?
- Waging War on the Poor: FCC Changes Will Hit Indian Reservations the Hardest
- The Meaning of 'Hope' at HOPE Center
- Tatanka Harvest at Thunder Valley
- A Stain on America: The Homeless Veterans
- A Lakota Patriot: Rex Leo Herman
- A Hero Comes Home: SGT Philip James Iyotte
- PBS Documentary: On a Knife Edge, Screens
- Looking Back on Sturgis Racial Incident
- Oneida Nation Donates Indian Country Today to NCAI
- Whiteclay Summit: ‘Where are the Indians?’ - Absence of OST President and Council Questioned
- Number of Indians in Pennington County Jail Much Higher Than White Inmates
- Whiteclay Beer Stores to Remain Closed
- Eagle Parts Black Market Exposed
- As Prairie Market Closes People Look for Alternatives
- Peter Yarrow Interview
- Anpo Wicahpi
- The Fight for Whiteclay
- Crowds View Jackson Hole Totality
- The Ever-Changing Face of Whiteclay - PART 1
- Keeping Hope Alive in Whiteclay - PART 2
- Racing Magpie: Connecting People Through Art
- Voices of Lakota Women Strong at Racing Magpie Exhibit
- Do You Have Unpaid IHS Bills?
- What’s Happening in Thunder Valley?
- 49th Annual Red Cloud Indian Art Show
I was honored to win 2nd Place in the 2017 South Dakota Newspaper Association's Better Newspaper Contest for my Feature Series on Whiteclay.
"This series is powerful -- both the coverage of the ongoing battle to close the beer stores in Whiteclay and the accompanying photographs that support the writing nicely. Excellent coverage of a landmark story in this region." Judges Comments